The Future is Coming!
(Let's be ready for it.)These days, public libraries are a lot more than just books. What will libraries look like in the future? What mix of new and traditional services would be best for the Plaistow community, not only today, but in the years ahead?
An in-library café? Educational programs for millennials on “adulting?” A 3-D printer? A bartering exchange? These are just some of the ideas in our new survey, coming soon to your email in-box and your postal mailbox.
Part of the library’s ongoing strategic planning efforts, the survey asks you to share your thoughts about what the library does well, where it can be improved, and most importantly, what it can be in the future. Respondents are encouraged to think “outside the box.”
Have a few minutes right now? Go ahead and take the survey here! As an added incentive, Plaistow residents can enter to win an iPad and other great prizes! Prize Deadline: August 4, 2017.
Join us for Gentle Yoga with Sybil twice a week!
Friday mornings at 10AM
Tuesday mornings at 9:15AM
Classes are for all ages and abilities and will run through the end of August.
NOTE: There will be no class Tuesday, August 1.
This program is sponsored by the Friends of the Plaistow Public Library. Please support this wonderful program with a suggested donation of $5 per class.
CIRCULATING WI-FI HOTSPOT!
The Plaistow Public Library has a Wi-Fi Hotspot for loan to library card holders. Take the internet with you wherever you go!
The Wi-Fi Hotspot is about the size of a deck of cards and can link up to 15 devices to the internet at the same time. The Wi-Fi Hotspot is portable and simple to use.
The Hotspot connects to T-Mobile’s cellular network. By connecting your phone, tablet, or other wireless-enabled device to it, you can get online anywhere within T-Mobile’s coverage area – try it at home, in the car, at the park, at the beach, the lake camp, or wherever you're going this summer.
- The Hotspot may be borrowed only by Plaistow Library cardholders in good standing (i.e., no fines or billed items, and up-to-date contact information).
- The Hotspot may be borrowed for a 1-week period. It may be renewed twice, but ONLY if no other patron is waiting for it.
- The borrower is responsible for any loss or damage to the Hotspot. Replacement costs of up to $126 will be charged if the Hotspot, or its components, are returned with damage that renders it inoperable; or, if it is not returned within 7 days of the due date.
Thank you to the Friends of the Library for sponsoring our Hotspot!
Go to Overdrive!Library closed but you just gotta have a new book? Go to Overdrive!
- With OverDrive eBooks, you can get a book any time, day or night.
- Over 10,000 eBooks and 8,000 audiobooks, with new titles added each week.
- All you need is a computer or mobile device and your library card!
- Login to NH.Overdrive.com, select Plaistow Library, enter your card number, and go shopping!
- Just as with any library book, it's all free!
To see available titles, search our catalog. Above the regular search results, you'll see a little box with a blue outline -- there you will find the results of your search from our ebooks and audiobooks database.
For help getting started, visit the Overdrive site here.
Remember the Thresher!
On April 10, 1963, the nuclear-powered attack submarine USS Thresher (SSN-593), built at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, sank off the coast of Boston and never resurfaced. All aboard were lost -- 129 men. The disaster was front page news all over the country. The loss of the USS Thresher continues to have effects on the US Navy even today.
On August 2, 2017, the Plaistow Public Library will host a special program: The History of the United States Submarine Force and the Loss of USS Thresher, presented by United States Submarine Veterans.
A 20-foot-long cut-away model of USS Thresher will be also on display.
Join us for this very special program on Wednesday, August 2! This event is open to the general public and is presented free of charge. Simply RSVP here and we'll see you then!