COVID-19 ("coronavirus") Update
UPDATED: MARCH 16, 2020
The Plaistow Public Library is closely monitoring the national and local health response to the coronavirus (COVID-19). The library is following the guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, NH Department of Health and Human Services, and Plaistow Town Health Department.
After consultation with our Town Health Officer and guidance from authorities of the state and the CDC, the Trustees of Plaistow Public Library have decided to close the library at 7:30PM on Tuesday, March 17, until further notice, due to the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation.
In the meantime, we have been and will continue to take every precaution to protect our patrons and employees by stepping up our cleaning and sanitation efforts.
All programs and meetings at the library are cancelled as of today, including morning and afternoon yoga, Friday Flicks, and all children’s and adult programs. The only event that is still scheduled is the Red Cross Blood Drive on the 31st. Check redcrossblood.org for updates.
In addition, all Passport and Notary services are suspended until further notice.
PHONE & EMAIL:
Our staff will be still working at the library and are available for questions at our regular number, 603-382-6011 or by email at email@example.com. After close of business Tuesday, no patrons or members of the public will be allowed in the library, but patrons may still drop books in the drop-in box. All returned items will be thoroughly wiped and properly disinfected.
DUE DATES & FINES
Don’t worry about your items you have out. We are in the process of changing all due dates to April 30 for now. All late fees and fines will be waived through April 30.
Don’t worry about your items on the hold shelf. Anything that’s on hold will still be there when we reopen.
No new requests for materials will be taken after closure. However, that may change in the near future as we discuss ways to serve the public during this ongoing and rapidly evolving crisis.
WHAT TO DO DURING CLOSURE
We offer many online resources that can be accessed from the comfort of your home with your library card number. These include:
- NH Overdrive lets you download e-books, audiobooks, and popular magazines with your web browser or the Libby app for your smart phone or tablet.
- Hoopla Digital offers movies, music, audiobooks, e-books, comics, and TV shows for your computer, tablet, or phone – even your smart TV. With no waiting, titles can be streamed immediately, or downloaded to phones or tablets for offline enjoyment later.
- Kanopy is a video streaming service offering over 30,000 independent and documentary films, including The Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, and more.
- Universal Class offers over 500 different online continuing education courses.
- Medline Plus, a service of the National Library of Medicine, features up-to-date information on the Coronavirus and more.
- Tumblebooks add animation, sound, music, and narration to popular children’s books for an anytime storytime.
Please note that we do not make this closure decision lightly and regret the inconvenience to our patrons. We know many people depend on the library, and we very much look forward to reopening as soon as it is safe and prudent to do so.
--James Peck, Library Board of Trustees Chair